HAPPY BIRTHDAY TANITH!!!!!!!My baby girl will be 18 later on this week. So many things I want to say to her. So many things I don't know how to say. We spent yesterday playing Lazer-tag, riding go karts and bumper cars, and generally being silly. I will miss these days as she gets older, though I hope she keeps her ability to be crazy and zany at the drop of a hat. So I guess I will post a few things I want her to remember as her path through life as an adult officially begins.
1. The world can be scary, I know that you know this. Find your safe place and guard it fiercely.
2. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on and hold you as accountable as you will hold them.
3. Be the friend you want, relationships should never be one-sided.
4. Don't be afraid to dream, when you stop dreaming, you lose hope. Hope is a must have for life.
5. Be compassionate. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes if possible. Just because it's not the way you normally do things, does not make it automatically wrong.
6. I am always here for you. Doesn't matter if it's for a hug, a sounding board, a vent, a safe place, whatever. I am always here for you.
7. Life begins outside your comfort zone. Allow yourself to be uncomfortable every once in a while.
8. When it comes to men (boys), remember what Dad and I have tried to show you. You know what your worth is, don't let a jerk take it away from you.
9. Don't leave your siblings behind completely. I know that you are now in a different space and that you won't always get along, but you will cherish those relationships when you get older.
10. Last but certainly not least. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! You have grown into a beautiful young woman in heart and mind. I cannot wait to see the direction you choose for you are capable of just about anything you set your mind to. Adversity is not an obstacle, it is a stepping stone. Don't intentionally seek it out, but embrace it when it comes because it means you are growing as a person.