Sunday, July 31, 2011

On the other hand...

Today's post began as a rant about the political mess in D.C.  until I got sidetracked by going out to a friends house. Various other things got in the way of me sitting down to finish the post and now here I am 12 hours later, sitting down and realizing that I just simply don't have the energy to post about the buffoons on Capitol Hill today.

Instead I am going to write about my enjoyment of a friends garden, spending time riding the motorcycle with my husband, and being silly with my kids. Granted, it probably isn't high on the excitement end of the spectrum for you the reader, but these are the things that make my life happy.

I like gardening. The feel of the earth on my hands, seeing something grow (kind of like parenting lol), and the best part, eating the fruits (pun intended) of my labor. Unfortunately, the past 2 years have not been kind to my little plot of earth that I use to grow things. The first year we had the garden out it did poorly and so I figured some sort of soil amendment would be necessary, but trying to get that done during my school year, well it didn't get done. Last year the May flood took it out about a week after we planted and nothing got done with it, and this year, well I'll be honest my brain took a vacation after Med-surg and Women's health. So getting to see my friend Andie be so proud (and rightfully so) of their nice garden was a treat.

My husband is a gearhead. I say this not only with affection, but with pride as well. Without his skills my poor little Miata would be languishing in a junkyard somewhere. My baby is the Miata, his is the motorcycle. We've had four or five bikes over the years and they all needed a considerable amount of time and attention (not to mention money) than he had. He finally lucked up on a deal a few months ago on a Honda Shadow 1100. It's a nice bike (much better than the old Goldwing we had) and a much more comfortable ride to boot.  Today we took that bike out to Andie's and it was a really nice getting to ride with him on something he enjoys the way I do my  Miata.

For those who don't know me personally, I have 3 children. Tanith is 16, Harlee is 14, and A.J. is 7. They are my greatest source of joy...not to mention a considerable source of frustration, but hey, that's their job. Everyday that goes by, they manage to teach me something as well as make me laugh. Who needs cable when you have kids like this. Days like today remind me how fleeting childhood really is. I hope that I can continue to be silly with my kids, even when they have families of their own. Rules and regulations have their place, but they don't remember those nearly as much as they remember the tickle fights (or in our case, flour fights...don't ask I'll have to explain later), or all the times that you were silly with them.

So that was my day today. I didn't climb any mountains, no dragons were slayed, but I had fun relaxing with my family so it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment