Friday, July 22, 2011

The end of the tunnel is much closer these days

For those of you who don't know, 4 years ago I embarked on a journey to become a nurse. Granted, there have been a couple of failed classes along the way as I retrained my brain to think ahead instead of react (when you have little ones, it seems all you do is react), but for the most part I have been a decent student (I think anyways). The end of next month marks the last fall I will start classes for my BSN. This morning I purchased my first round of Malpractice insurance (I had coverage through the school, but this is an individual policy). I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff. I don't know that I ever thought I would get this far.  You see I've had a history of flaking out on things in the past. Not necessarily something to be proud of, but I strive to be honest, especially with myself.

I've surprised myself through the past 4 years though. This blog wouldn't exist had I not taken the ACT 14 yrs after I got out of high school and made a decent score on the writing portion. You see I LOVE to read, it's my main form of entertainment, but I never could get the writing thing down in school. So I just gave up...until I got into college, and guess what? All that reading paid off! Granted I still struggle with coma's (see previous 2 sentences), but somehow I figured it out. Then there was math, my old bugaboo from grade school. I can now do algebra without going into a panic attack. While I've always loved the process of learning, I found out that being an intentional learner had it's own rewards.

There's been other growth as well. I've learned to not have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to something I just don't get (that's another post in and of itself). I have to slow down, take a deep breath, and start from the beginning. I've always been a people person, as in I enjoy people. However it's been very difficult, (I feel anyways), to let other people see just exactly who I am. This has been the slowest thing to change, but now I have several friends outside of my normal circle who make me stretch intellectually.

So as I begin my last last year of nursing school and take a look at where I've been, I'm satisfied. I may not be the most outstanding student in terms of grades, but I am passionate about learning and helping people. What I don't know I can learn as I continue to grow academically and as a person. Hopefully it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment