Friday, May 31, 2013

Sci-fi....reality?

As many of you know, I LOVE to read. The only downfall I've found to my Kindle is that the battery does not last near long enough for a prolonged reading session for me (which can span into the majority of the day if I don't watch it). So I'm hopping around the web this afternoon (yes, the Kindle is recharging as I write this), and I found this article on ETT aka Evacuated Tube Transport. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/futuristic-high-speed-tube-travel-could-york-los-171007828.html?vp=1 

My mind isn't blown per se, however it is already in overdrive factoring in the infrastructure and economic changes something like this would entail. Aside from the fact that it would make the Global courier business skyrocket, current delivery behemoths UPS, Fed-Ex, and DHL would seriously have to restructure. Airlines would be severely crippled, especially in light of skyrocketing fuel costs, mediocre earnings, and abyssmal customer ratings. There are other implications as well that aren't immediately apparent. What about the need to completely revamp Over-The-Road transportation currently used as a goods delivery system? If this is put into play, it has the potential to knock the trucking industry as we know it flat on it's proverbial tail. 

Now I know that some of you will immediately say "That's what the rail system does"...but does it do cross country in less than an hour? According to the article the time from NYC to Japan would be 2 hours. The rail system also has the inherent downfall of right of ways and easements at a cost effective price. That's one of the reasons that there is no rail service in the Middle Tennessee area other than the Nashville Star that runs from Lebanon, TN to Nashville & back. 

To put a healthcare spin on things, how bout if a kidney came available in Oregon and it was needed in Florida? Wow, what a turn around. 

What about the downside to this though? (I promise I'm not trying to be a 'Debbie Downer' here) Currently it can be difficult to trace pathogens through our current transportation system. Can you imagine the chaos with transportation this fast?

Either way I feel like I'm seeing something from Robert A. Heinlein's "Friday" come to life. Will be interesting to watch. 

What about you? What are the pro's and cons that you see with transportation like this? 


No comments:

Post a Comment